Summit Releases 30th Anniversary Keller Pils
The second in a series of four anniversary brews
The 30th Anniversary Series seeks to showcase the unique qualities and attributes that have helped drive Summit forward over the last three decades. A belief in tradition and progress, innovation and heritage, and above all, an uncompromising approach to quality and consistency have been integral in Summit’s approach to brewing great beer. Along the way, great partnerships have developed into great friendships, with suppliers, distributors, retailers and customers.
Summit’s 30th Anniversary Keller Pils seeks to highlight the unique flavor characteristics associated with a classic German pilsner malt, while recognizing the contributions to craft brewing and support for Summit from a celebrated German craft maltster. Combining that classic pilsner malt with traditional and modern German hop varieties in Summit’s copper brewhouse has allowed its brewers to produce a superb German-style pilsner, served unfiltered to allow for more flavor and character in the final glass.
Summit has combined the flavor elements of Barke malt with the Tettnang hop, a slightly spicy and traditional noble hop variety, supplied to Summit from Minnesota-based Brewers Supply Group. A final addition of the recently developed Hallertau Melon hop variety, supplied from Germany by S.S. Steiner, provides a hint of gentle citrus in the final beer.
Wyeast Laboratories, based in Oregon, sourced a traditional private collection Munich lager yeast strain, the final element required to create a classical German pils. Two weeks of cool fermentation followed by six weeks of cold maturation help provide outstanding drinkability and complexity.
“For our anniversary year, we wanted to focus on the three C’s of quality: consistency, creativity and community,” said head brewer Damian McConn. “By working closely with our malt, hop and yeast suppliers, we’re able to produce four special beers that exemplify this motto.”
- The Happy Gnome – 4 p.m., Wednesday, May 18; happy hour featuring the Brewers Association Top 50 Craft Breweries
- The Bulldog (Uptown) – 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Thursday, May 19; release party with $3 Summits, 7 p.m. toast with head brewer Damian McConn for American Craft Beer Week
- Keegan’s Irish Pub – 4 p.m., Friday, May 20; meet head brewer Damian McConn
- Hops for Cops at Boom Island – 2 p.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, May 22; fundraiser for Minneapolis Mounted Police in collaboration with Ruth’s Chris
- Elwoods – 5 p.m., Thursday, May 26
- Hop 21 – 7 p.m., Thursday, June 2; ping pong tournament featuring $5 Summit pints
- Mission American Kitchen & Bar – 4 p.m., Thursday, June 16
- Summit Beer Hall – 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Thursdays, 4 p.m.-10 p.m. Fridays, 12 p.m.-10 p.m. Saturdays
- Thursday, May 19: Color + Craft
- Friday, May 20: Cantus Vocal Ensemble Spotlight
- Thursday, May 26: Beer Tie: An Evening of Beer and Fly Tying
- Friday, May 27: Trivia Night with Trivia Mafia
- Malts: 100% Barke Pilsner heritage malt sourced from Weyermann Specialty Malts
- Hops: A blend of traditional (Tettnang) and modern (Hallertau Melon) German varieties
- ABV: 5.1%
- IBU: 38
- Color: Pale straw
- Yeast: German lager
- Original Gravity: 12° Plato
- Available on draught and in six-packs and 12-packs of 12-ounce cans.