WIth Harrisburg Beer Week upon us, I’ve been asked by a few other people for suggestions on good family-friendly events. Since there’s a lot of information for busy parents to comb through I thought I’d give y’all the highlights of what I think would be kid-friendly events. I’ll even be bringing my twins to some of these!
- Sunday 4/26 at Sturges Speakeasy – Troegs Beer Brunch
- I’m bringing my whole family down for this one! While the Speakeasy might not be what you think of when talking about family-friendly places, it’s a lovely place to bring the whole family on a Sunday morning. We enjoy taking the kiddos down there and having a nice brunch with the grandparents!
- Tuesday 4/28 at Al’s of Hampden – Tired Hands on Tap
- Al’s is always one of my favorite places to bring my kids. Our 3 year old LOVES going there to get pizza. They even have a slushy machine and a juice machine for the little ones. This event is super cool because it’s rare to get Tired Hands beers outside of the brewery. So this is a fantastic opportunity to bring the kids down for a slice and a slushy while you enjoy a tasty, rare find!
- Thursday 4/30 at Lancaster Brewing Company – Lancaster IPA vs West Coast IPA, new limited LBC release
- Lancaster Brewing Company is a really cool spot just outside the city. It’s easy to get to and feels a tiny bit less casual then some of the other breweries in the area. It always feels like a special treat to go there. I always love getting their huge sample trays too! I find it’s kind of a hidden gem in our area. I’m also a bit of a hop head so I love love love the concept of comparing IPA styles! Sit down with the family, eat some delicious food, and try out some new beers.
- Friday 5/1 5:30pm at Arooga’s Hershey – Pizza Boy WIngstinguisher Double IPA Firkin
- Most people think of sports bars as being a place for cheap, yellow beer. Arooga’s is definitely an exception to that! And, they’re proving it with this event. Not only are they tapping a firkin of their newest Pizza Boy collaboration, they’re tapping a bunch of Pizza Boy kegs, and Al himself is bringing over some bottles from his stash! This is an awesome event, especially for families who live on the east shore and can’t make it over to Al’s of Hampden very often. I definitely recommend checking this one out.
Firkins & Randalls:
If you’ve never experienced a firkin or a Randall the Enamel Animal, there are a couple really cool opportunities to do it this week! What are these contraptions? Read what our friend Sara had to say about them!
- Saturday 4/25 5pm at Brewhouse Grille – Victory Brewing Company Firkin
- Monday 4/27 5pm at Lancaster Brewing Company – LBC Firkin
- Monday 4/27 5:30pm at Arooga’s 15 (Camp Hill) – Troegs Troegenator Randall with Bourbon Soaked Wood Chips
- Thursday 4/29 7pm at Federal Tap House – Evil Genius Randall Party
- Friday 5/1 5pm at Quaker Steak & Lube – Troegs Perpetual IPA Firkin
- Saturday 5/2 at Arooga’s 11 (Mechanicsburg) – Victory Golden Monkey Randall with tequilla soaked wood chips and lime peels
Try Something New:
It’s hard to get to the bar when you have kids at home. Parents end up missing a lot of interesting beer events and releases. Well, not during Harrisburg Beer Week! There are plenty of opportunities to bring the kids along to some local family friendly establishments and try something you may not have seen before. Here are a few to check out:
- Friday 4/24 all day at Brewhouse Grille – Evolution Brewing Double Barrell-Aged Brews
- Saturday 4/25 4-8pm at Grain + Verse – Liquid Hero Brewing Company tap feature
- Saturday 4/25 5pm at Al’s Pizza & Subs Dillsburg – Crystal Ball Brewing Beer Tasting
- Sunday 4/26 12-5pm at Al’s of Hampden – Free Will Tap Takeover & Meet the Brewer
- Thursday 4/30 5pm at Market Cross Pub – Deschutes Brewery Secret Stash Brews & Learn to Pair Beer with Food
- Thursday 4/30 7pm at Brewhouse Grille – Bourbon County Stout on Draft
- Friday 5/1 6-9pm at Grain + Verse – Beer Ice Cream from Urban Churn Paired with Troegs Beer
Here are just a few extra events that I thought were noteworthy. These are super cool and interesting… and the kiddos can tag along!
- Saturday 4/25 1pm at Jigsy’s Brewpub & Restaurant – Beer Brunch
- Wednesday 4/29 5pm at Brewhouse Grille – Troegs Oyster Bar
- Saturday 5/1 at the Coliseum Entertainment Megaplex – Great Lakes Brewing Month Kick Off
What better time and place to sample beer than when you’re about to take your kids grocery shopping? In all seriousness though, Wegman’s is doing some really cool beer pairing demonstrations that will be quick and easy. You can sample some incredible beer and food, then pick it up and take it home with you along with the rest of your groceries! Here’s a roundup of their events for the week:
- Friday 4/24 5-7pm Chimay & Cheese Pairing
- Saturday 4/25 2-4pm Deschutes Brewery Food Pairing
- Sunday 4/26 2-4pm Elysian Brewing Dessert Pairing
- Monday 4/27 5-7pm Otter Creek Cheese Pairing
- Tuesday 4/28 5-7pm Uinta Brewing Cheese Pairing
- Wednesday 4/29 5-7pm Troegs Troegenator Dessert Pairing
- Thursday 4/30 5-7pm Victory Brewing Cheese Pairing
- Friday 5/1 5-7pm Ommegang Brewing Dessert Pairing
- Saturday 5/2 2-4pm Evolution Brewing Food Pairing
Check out HarrisburgBeerWeek.com to see a full listing of events & specials happening through out the week! And PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY! There’s a really sweet deal happening with Uber for the week and there are some great transportation options available, but make sure that if you have your kiddo with you, you also have your car seat and that it’s properly installed in the Uber car or taxi!