Harrisburg Beer Week is coming! This year is going to be a little different for me this year. Last year, my twins were still itty bitty babies and it was easy for me to either wrap them up or carry them in in their car seats. Nowadays they are mobile. VERY mobile! At 16 months old, they’re walking, talking, eating, and just generally expending lots of energy.
I know there are lots of other families in the area who with beer-loving parents who would like to participate in HBW this year. To help you all out, I have compiled a daily list of family-friendly, kid-safe events! Enjoy and see you out there!
As an organizer of Harrisburg Beer Week, my kids will be with a sitter and I will be spending Friday night at the VIP kick off party. If I wasn’t there we’d definitely be at the Lancaster Brewing Company Kick-off Party! They’re serving beer-inspired appetizers and giving away glassware starting at 4pm.
- Pizza Grille: Otto’s Brewery and Pizza Pairing – 5-10pm
- Wegman’s: Goose Island & Sushi Pairing (BCBS) and Sam Adams Nitro sampling – 5-7pm
The first full day of Harrisburg Beer Week is going to be FULL for sure! Starting at 9am, Al’s of Hampden is opening up early (9am) and tapping one of my favorite early morning beers, Founder’s Breakfast Stout! Then we’re heading downtown for the Maybe 5k presented by the Pennsylvania Beer Alliance. My friends from Hike It Baby have organized a group of parents and kids to walk the race course and share some beers at ZeroDay, too!
- Spring Gate Hot ‘n Spicy Festival – 12-6pm
- Wegman’s: Spring House Can Sampling and Evolution & Dessert Pairing – 12-2pm
- Al’s of Hampden: Free Will Tap Takeover & Meet the Brewer – 6-10pm
Brunch is always a great way to spend time with family! There are so many awesome Sunday beer brunches to choose from. West Shore, East Shore, in the City – there’s something for everyone. We’ll likely be checking out the Troegs brunch at Sturges Speakeasy!
- Brewery at Hershey: Beastly Beer Brunch at Cafe 1500 – 11am-1pm
- Funck’s Restaurant: Beer Brunch – 11am-1pm
- TJ Rockwell’s: New Belgium Beer Brunch – 11am-1pm
- Wegman’s: Ommegang Game of Thrones Special Release & Cheese Pairing – 12-2pm
Arooga’s in Camp Hill is running Troegenator through a randall with bourbon soaked wood chips, and I’m very much looking forward to this event! It’s also a great place to have dinner with my kids. They love the diverse kids menu, and I love the healthy options. Oh, and kids eat free on Mondays so that’s a bonus!
- Brewhouse Grille: Brewers of Central PA Party with Old Forge & Rusty Rail – 4pm
- Wegman’s: Victory Java Cask Release & Dessert Pairing – 5-7pm
I love when local breweries are supported by other local restaurants. Grain + Verse is an awesome bottle shop, and they make INCREDIBLE pizzas. They’re hosting a Battle of the Brewers with ZeroDay Brewing Company and Duclaw Brewing Company. It’s a great opportunity to try some great local beers and eat some delicious pizza with your kids!
- Brewhouse Grille: Victory Brewing Firkin & Seafood Night – 4pm
- Wegman’s: Troegs Brewing & Charcuterie Pairing + Bourbon Barrel Aged Samples – 5-7pm
- Arooga’s Hershey: Troegs Scratch Double IPA Firkin – 5:30pm
Bourbon. County. Brand. Stout. Undoubtedly once of my favorite beers and one of the most sought after beers in the country. Well, Brewhouse is breaking some out for beer week! They’re pairing it with oysters which just simply sounds amazing. They also have yummy chicken fingers that my kids LOVE!
- Lancaster Brewing Company: Meet & Greet the Brewer – 4-7pm
- Wegman’s: Deschutes & Chocolate Pairing featuring The Abyss – 5-7pm
The Millworks might not seem like a kid-friendly place, but believe me it is! They have stacks and stacks of high chairs, plus healthy, yummy, local food. They’re tapping a Victory Mystery firkin at 5pm! Victory Brewing firkins have always been kind of hard to come by as they usually only do them in their brew pubs. It’s super exciting that we have a few coming for Harrisburg Beer Week. This is a great chance to take your family out and try one!
- Wegman’s: Uinta & Cheese Pairing featuring Birthday Suit – 5-7pm
- Grain + Verse: Old Forge “Pizza & Pin” Party – 5:30-11pm
- Al’s Pizza & Subs Dillsburg: Flying Dog Pin Tapping – 6-9pm
I was very excited to see a daytime event pop up on the calendar, and even more excited to see that it’s at one of my favorite local watering holes. The twins and I will be wearing tie dye and checking out the Hippie Fight at Sturges Speakeasy at noon for Otter Creek & Sweet Water beers and Disco Biscuits and Ben Harper glassware! For dinner we’ll probably head out to Arooga’s in Hershey for a firkin of their Second Street Session IPA that they made in collaboration with Hop Hedz Gear and St. Boniface Brewing.
- Lancaster Brewing Company: Exclusive Brew Cask Night – 4-10pm
- Wegman’s: Great Lakes Chillwave Sampling and Tastes of Mexico & Otter Creek pairing featuring Double or Nothing 5-7pm
- Giant Foods (Linglestown Road & Carlisle Pike): Flying Fish tastings – 5-7pm
- Dukes Riverside: Sam Adams Rebel Night – 6-11pm
If you aren’t able to get a sitter and make it to Little Big Beer Fest, I definitely recommend heading over to Smoked Bar & Grill. They’re holding a BBQ Cookout with Spring House cans, and they’re tapping a Sweetwater 420 firkin with passion fruit at noon!